At Roger de Clare, all pupils are encouraged and nurtured to fulfil their full potential. Through regular assessment and observation we identify and target next steps for all children.
We want all children to feel a sense of challenge in their work. Along with our work on Growth Mindset, we believe that every child is capable of great things and if they cannot do it, it is only because they cannot do it yet. A carefully planned progression of study will enable them to reach their goals.
At Roger de Clare C. of E. First School we focus upon enrichment and extension as the two main strategies for meeting the needs of pupils and ensuring suitable challenge in all they do.
Enrichment consists of broadening and deepening a pupil’s education. This may enable pupils to study aspects of a topic which there would not normally be time to study, or it can consist of adding extra topics/subjects to the main curriculum. We enrich the curriculum for highly able pupils in two ways:
- Schemes of work indicate where additional resources and materials can be used to broaden highly able pupils’ appreciation of a topic.
- There is a range of after school clubs which enable all pupils, including highly able pupils, to broaden their knowledge and interests.
Extension occurs when pupils are encouraged to develop more sophisticated thinking and reasoning skills. We extend highly able pupils through:
- Schemes of work indicate appropriate resources and materials which can be used in suitable topics to develop the thinking skills of pupils.
- Participation in school clubs, e.g. School Council, ECO Action and Worship Clubs, helps the children to sharpen and develop their cognitive processes.
- Small group work where topics can be explored in greater depth.
Very often parents ask how they can support and extend learning at home. Please refer to the 'something to try at home' activities on the weekly update or the suggested activities within termly booklets.